I have always wanted to travel.
Even as a child I dreamed of adventures that took me to other countries.
I had a 'thing' about 'Red Indians' as we called them back then. Native Americans now. I wanted to go to America and live with them! I have no idea why!
Oh, actually, I do... I used to attend Primary School in England with a little boy called Johnny 'Running Bear' something or other. I don't recall his family name. He spoke with an American accent and had brown skin and we played every lunch time at cowboys and Indians. He said he was from a Sioux Indian tribe. He certainly looked like a red Indian.
He was there only for a short time so I guess he could have been genuine. Anyhow, I was left with a lifelong love for them.
I never did get to America. Half a century later I am an east coast Australian Citizen and I couldn't really have travelled any further away from my homeland. But never, in the intervening years, did I manage to explore another other country in any depth. A quick day trip with a school to Boulogne when I was 15 and a pretty horrible soggy kiss on the quay from a French boy, whose name I still recall was Alain, was all I experienced. It put me off French men for life!
I grew up in an age when an overseas trip was for the rich and famous and the usual, long awaited family holiday, was a day trip to the seaside. I remember well, the pebble beaches that crunched awkwardly underfoot and the chilly waters of the English Channel lapping over my little bare feet.
So, coming to Australia was a monumental journey for me. I came for love, and grew to love this country too.
Though sometimes, I manage to explore bits of it I don't actually intend....
One evening, after a long tiring day at work, I waited as usual for my red metro bus to take me home and suddenly remembered my ticket had expired .
I hurried into a nearby shop to buy a new one and seeing my bus arrive at the stop, dashed out and straight onto the bus.
I made myself comfortable in a side facing seat and was soon immersed in watching an episode of my favourite series 'Fringe', on my iPad.
Being winter, the darkness quickly grew outside and I occasionally looked up to see the lights of the buildings in George St and the increasing dazzle of traffic.
My episode of Fringe was enthralling and I was lost in the intrigue and excitement.
People got on and off the bus and I eventually came to the end of the episode.
When next I looked up, the world outside seemed strange. I had expected to see the familiar surroundings of Anzac Parade by this time and yet I didnt recognise anything that I could see. I craned forward to look out of the front of the bus and to my utter horror, saw a huge roadsign that said words to the effect: 'Freeway- Liverpool'!
I was on the wrong bus!
Quickly thrusting my iPad into my bag, I scuttled up the gangway to the driver and announced, with a calmness I didn't feel, that I was 'on the wrong bus'! I had meant to catch the M10 !
"You're on the M30, which goes to Spit Junction" he told me with a chuckle! He seemed to find the whole episode highly amusing. My calamity was probably the highlight of his day!
He grinned at me and said I could travel with him to the end of the route and then return to the city or I could get off at the next stop -Neutral Bay - and catch a bus back into the city myself.
I chose the latter! I'd not heard of Spit Junction let alone had a clue where it would be!
I didn't want to end up any further away from the comfort of a city known to me, than I needed to be!
"Didn't you notice when we crossed the HUGE Harbour bridge" he asked?
'I was between two worlds at the time' I told him weakly; indicating my iPad and made reference to the Fringe Sci-Fi series!
A short journey on and we reached the next stop. He wished me well as he set me down in the middle of a strange town on a dark and frankly alarming, night!!
It was a long time since I had been truly lost! I was probably about 3 the last time and had wandered away from my mum in a shop, only to grab what I thought was her coat and look up into a the face of a complete stranger. My subsequent screams brought my real mum running to claim me!
I wasn't about to scream but definitely felt the pangs of alarm as I crossed the busy highway to the bus stop opposite. I was definitely out of my comfort zone!
Once I was sure I was in the right place and only had minutes to wait for my bus back to the city; I called other half and told him of my mis-adventure.
When he had stopped laughing - which seemed a considerable length of time - he kindly offered to pick me up! I thought I could manage the trip into Sydney so we finally agreed; I would find my way back to the city and he could collect me from there.
"Didn't you notice you were crossing a HUGE bridge" he asked, still laughing
I just sighed and waited patiently for the next bus.
:-) Men!! They Obviously don't have ipads!! I love red indians too!! :-)
ReplyDelete