Monday, May 14, 2012

Last laugh!

I had to run 100yds for the bus this morning! 

Most mornings I drive to the local town to catch the bus.
I don't use the bus stop nearest to the car park by the library; but walk, some 2-300 yards back, to the first stop for the Metrobus. 
Not only does it give me a little morning exercise but I'm more likely to get my favoured front seat at this stop.

This morning, I saw the bus approaching as I had begun my walk, so I turned around, judging the library stop to be the nearest and legged it!
The bus pulled in to the stop and waited with his front doors open.  I'm certain it was waiting for me, since I was the only one around and they don't usually stop unless waved down.
I thought, 'How nice!'  'How observant of the driver!'
I almost reached the open doors of the bus - when the doors closed and the bus pulled away from the kerb! 
In the side mirror, I could just see the smirking face of 'Bruce Willis', the dreaded driver of ill repute and subject of my first blog and he was looking straight at me!
I just knew it would be him.  He was playing his 'game'!

Any other driver would have allowed me on.  Would have waited the last two seconds for a late comer.
Especially one gasping for breath and in danger of having a heart attack at 7.30 am on a chilly morning!

Not being one to dwell on things, I simply shrugged, turned back and decided to walk the distance to my usual bus stop. Besides, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing me waving an angry fist or jumping up and down with annoyance! Though I would, quite happily, have shot him!
I read somewhere ' There are a lot of people in the world that annoy us simply because we're not allowed to shoot them!'
Anyway, I was quite chuffed that I had managed the run to be honest!
I'd just had a really lazy weekend where I had hardly moved from my computer- except to raid the fridge of Mother's day chocolates and goodies.

After about a ten minute wait - during which time a strange and very overweight woman with short white, sticky up hair, a large striped T shirt, slippers and nothing else, approached me for 50cents (reasonable I thought but still not forthcoming) - the next bus came along and I was pleased to see a friendly and animated driver who kept up a cheerful banter with all the passengers throughout the journey. AND he waited for passengers who ran to catch him.
When I finally got off at my stop and thanked him, he even wished me a 'pleasant week ahead' !

But my moment of triumph was when we first reached the city. 
There, ahead of us, was the bus I had missed! It had been held up by the rush hour traffic and we had caught up with it as it idled at a bus stop!
Our driver carried on past and as we drew level, I made a point of looking straight at the driver.
Yes, it was him. It was 'Bruce Willis' and I swear, when he looked right back at me, he recognised me - and there was no smirk on his face then!!

I grinned broadly and laughed at him.  I had the last laugh!








1 comment: