The recent warm weather has brought out all the early morning 'would be fit' and the fit people alike.
The joggers bounce or stagger (according to their fitness) along the footpaths on their way to uni or work and the cyclists have increased in numbers.
The seasoned cyclists on their racing bikes, with their lycra outfits and waxed legs are not so bad, as they zip in and out of the traffic and keep up with the flow, but the 'not so fit' on their mountain bikes, with their Kmart shorts and furry legs, puff along in the bus lanes and are the bane of every bus drivers daily life.
They either pedal along aimlessly, seemingly out for a 'nice ride' or pedal furiously to try to keep up with the traffic and getting nowhere; mainly because they haven't yet learned the art of gear changing!
The bus driver is forced to either dawdle along behind them until he reaches the next bus stop - which will give them time to get ahead - or he has to overtake by pulling into the next lane, which only necessitates his having to pull in again for the next stop.
I have to say that, on the whole, the bus drivers are remarkably patient!
But it does have its amusing moments....
Sitting in my usual front seat and travelling along the Anzac Parade, early one cold but sunny morning, the bus dawdled patiently behind one slightly overweight and labouring cyclist, whose T-shirt had parted company with his shorts showing a glimpse of his back.
'He'll get a cold in his kidneys' I thought...
By the time we got to Kensington, his shorts had slipped down a couple of inches showing a 'bottom cleavage'. Not the best of sights at any time of the day!
The bus driver nodded his head in the cyclist's direction and smirked. I smiled politely and tried not to look!
As we approached the Moore Park turn off, the shorts had decided they no longer wanted to be part of his attire and had slipped down to bike seat level; exposing almost all of his rear end!
It was a chilly morning, despite the clear blue sky and sunshine, but the cyclist didn't seem to notice the increasing cold draft at all!
By this time, the driver didn't know where to look and neither did I. For once, I had neither ereader nor iPad in which to safely immerse myself.
I felt a real compulsion to laugh out loud and the driver, creased with laughter, had tears in his eyes - from laughing or looking - I'm not sure!
Eventually, unable to cope any longer, the driver pulled into the next bus stop even though no one wanted to get on or off, to simply allow the cyclist to get ahead and hopefully out of sight.
The last view we had was of a bright, white bum, wobbling in the sunlight and disappearing along the Anzac parade towards the city.
I just hope no one crashed as a result!
Ha ha, brilliant!
ReplyDeleteMagic moments huh? Haha!
ReplyDelete