Saturday, June 9, 2012

Simple Things

It really is the simple things in life that make us happy.
Like being warm or accepting a kindness or just being loved.

I have never understood why some people can be really unpleasant or angry or unkind.
I realise that some situations are worse than others but in general, isnt it much nicer to be pleasant and thoughtful and kind?
'It's nice to be nice' I remember someone saying, many years ago.

Neither have I ever understood how people tolerate the cold. For me, being cold is akin to physical pain and for me, being cold begins at anything lower than 18 degrees. I know there are many others out there who are like me and suffer when the temperature drops only a few degrees. 
Likewise, I realise some people have a greater tolerence of cold and I envy them.
The other morning, I shivered all the way to work.  I felt the cold air as I left home and suffered from it when I paced up and down at the bus stop (how do people just stand still and wait?)
When I sat on the bus, the aircon was on full blast blowing out cold air!  Was I the only one who was shivering in my seat?  Seemingly not; for a woman like me, rugged up with gloves and scarf and warm coat, bravely enquired of the driver if the heater could be turned on - only to be rebuffed with a gruff statement that the aircon - was 'preset'. Absolute rubbish of course!

I got off a few stops before I needed to so that I could walk and maybe warm up but I still shivered in Sydney's nose dripping 7 degrees.
I clung to my hot cup of coffee as I left the local cafe and trudged the last few steps to the office; my gloved hands warming from the heat of the cup and my eyes watering in the chill air.
I passed a man sitting on a bench reading a paper.  Just an ordinary man; nothing different about him - except that he was in shirt sleeves, neck open, no scarf or coat in sight.
Who ARE this breed that just don't feel the cold.  What is their secret?

Being warm is a basic need.  I just seem to need it more than most!

The day warmed up as it does with the face of the sun beaming down on us and by evening, my walk to the bus stop was a little more pleasant.  It was still chilly as it was growing dark now; the sun had slipped over the horizon a while back,  and I was glad the bus wasn't long in coming.
I got on and sat in a single seat watching passively out of the window. 
I was tired and glad to be going home.

I was aware of a child leaning over the seat in front of me, staring at me, but I wasn't taking much notice; when suddenly, a little hand sought mine and held it.
I looked up into the blackest eyes and the handsome face of a little boy of about 4 years old with a frame of glossy black curls.
I gently stroked his soft hand with my thumb and smiled quietly at him and he smiled back.  He sat like that for a good few minutes and then, snatching his hand away with the suddeness that children have, he came around the seat and hugged my lap.  I stroked his back a little and smoothed the unruly black curls and then he was gone.  Back to his mum and small brother. 

I was so warmed inside from that little gesture of kindness and tolerence; so heartened by the brief moment of 'love' from another tiny human being, that I was overwhelmed by it and quite forgot I was cold. 
Why he picked me I will never know.  It was like time stood still in a single moment of total tranquility. 
He will never know the effect he had on reaching out to another human being.  He just seemed to know it was needed.

The little family got off at the next stop with no backward glance.  I didn't expect it.  The moment had passed.
But I was left with a warm glow inside that sits with me, even today.

......It's just the simple things!








No comments:

Post a Comment