Friday, June 22, 2012

The Captain

Being a Friday I can't wait to get out of the office.  It's been a tough week!
So,this evening I hurry aboard the bus , having just caught it by the skin of my teeth, and I'm immediately aware that there is some sort of 'cabaret act' going on in the shape of a scruffy but clean, skinny, elderly man, sitting in a single seat, with his sharp, worn features almost totally obscured by facial hair and wearing a beanie, colourful clothes and a perpetual grin!
He is obviously a little inebriated  and is greeting everyone that boards with a cheery comment; most of which are complimentary to the females and outrageous to the men. Everyone is amused and taking his remarks in good humour.  Such is the nature of Australians alike!
Thankfully, I slipped on the bus behind a rather large lady; who he invites to 'sit on his lap' (she declined with a grin) and I manage to avoid any comment.  Though he did observe me sitting and mumbled that he had, 'missed one there!'

He went on chatting away and passed amusing comments on this person and that; on their clothes or hair and we learned from a young girl sitting close by that he was known as 'The Captain'; because he salutes everyone at her office.
I cannot for the life of me begin to imagine what he could possibly do in an office and one only hopes he is not the CEO!

A young guy sitting next to me, leaned closer to me and remarked that he was going to read his book but that this was 'much more entertaining'!  I agreed whole-heartedly!

Two stops on and a respectable looking, middle aged businessman with glasses, got on and was greeted with   "Ello Mate!  'Ow's yer ball-sac"? to which he replied -totally unfazed- ' Fine, how's yours?' as if this type of conversation took place every day on an M10 bus in rush hour!
To give the man his due, he did manage to manoeuvre the conversation around to football after a couple more bawdy comments and we all exchanged relieved but amused glances!

We all sat with grins on our faces, eyes meeting across the aisle and exchanging amused looks. Possibly more from the fact that this was all taking place on a Friday night after a long, dull week at work and this was light relief!

I think we were ALL disappointed when the old boy got off at George street.  He grinned a toothy grin at us as he passed and shook hands with some - including mine and with a 'Night Love'  - was gone.  Lost among the throng of people on the street, hurrying in the chilly night.

As the bus pulled away we shifted in our seats and returned to our own worlds Out came phones and books and heads bowed over them or gazed out of windows and we were once more immersed in our personal journeys.
The bus resumed its usual quiet murmur as it trundled its way through the dark and the slow, city traffic.

The bus seemed a little bit empty and a little darker without our cheerful companion.  But we were all a little lighter on the inside!


2 comments:

  1. Has he ever been on again? Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! And I have looked out for him. Be sure he will be on here again if he re-surfaces!! :o)

    ReplyDelete