Thursday, October 4, 2012

To Baldly Go.....

I have wanted to grow my hair again since two years ago, when  the hairdresser told me it was too long for my age and heartlessly snipped it all off!

I'd always had long hair (apart from a brief and ridiculous buzz cut when I joined the Military Police in my rather confused youth)
But in the last few years, I'd had it trimmed almost weekly, by degrees, as I worried that my long golden tresses would be construed as 'mutton dressed as lamb' and so, this more drastic cut two years ago, was to be the final chop - something short and funky but stylish.....

I emerged resembling a rather butch lesbian, with an inch of hair and a shaved neck!
Close to tears, I adopted a 'don't F*** with me' face in keeping with the style, while I strode out of the shopping mall and dashed home to lock myself away for the next few months, until it grew to an acceptable length.

However, being a resilient type of person, I resolved to change persona before I found myself chatted up by the leather and chain brigade and slipped into the chemist to buy my first ever blonde hair dye.
And so, my half dark/ half blonde style was born and has been nurtured ever since. (Though I seem to remember that the first effort was more 'yellow' than blonde!)

Every time it grows a few inches, I vow to re-grow it and then I take the scissors to snip off an invading lock and end up with it short again!

Having just resolved myself to my latest shorn look, I was more than a little pleased to board the bus one morning and note that the aging lady driver was almost bald!
Her hair was shaved close to the skull apart from a short, blue mohican on the top and a rather interesting tattoo of a butterfly in chains adorned the side of her head!
Heavy of build, she wore a black leather waistcoat under her neon bus jacket, and her ears were weighted with several piercings. 
I noticed the tail of another tattoo escaping from her sleeve and the word 'HOPE' on her knuckles.

As i fed my ticket to the ever hungry machine I smiled and told her 'Great hair'......

She grinned - and I swung into the front seat with a smile.
During the bus journey, she often looked my way in the mirror and one time sent me a crooked smile.  I hoped she didn't want to chat, as some of them do;  I guess some drivers get bored on the route all day, but I never know what to talk about!
 
In due course we reached my destination and I prepared to alight; standing by the driver's cabin and smiling a polite thank you.  She returned the smile  - and then winked lasciviously at me!

Taken aback,  I hopped off the bus with no backward glance and hurried on, resolutely vowing to try harder in the future,  to grow my hair and look less butch!!



No comments:

Post a Comment