I have a new subject of amusement on my journey to work!
And I have decided to call him 'Mumbles'!
He is elderly, grey haired with a face like a character straight from Dickens - and he mumbles!
Constantly. Endlessly and seemingly without reason.
He sits in his cabin, hunched over the wheel, glances about furtively and mumbles.
Yesterday, sitting in my usual front seat, I thought at first that he was complaining about something to me; the traffic, the weather; something! Drivers often 'chat' to the front seat.
I guess they get a bit bored of their own company sometimes. But no, he just mumbles!
When passengers got on the bus he mumbled about "taking too much time" "Using the wrong ticket swipe" and didnt wait for anyone to sit down. Not even the elderly. They all went staggering up the aisle as he jerked away from the stop, still mumbling.
I tried to hear just what he was mumbling about. But it seemed to be quite random and usually directed at nothing in particular.
That is, until we got to Central. There he excelled himself. Taking the volume up a notch to actually complain to the passengers:
"All shoving on at once" "No tickets ready" "There are other buses you know'' "Why are you all getting on this one?" "What about that one behind us?" "Bloody daft!"
He kept up a steady stream of 'mumbling' as the passengers kept up a steady stream of boarding until the bus was so full, they were standing shoulder to shoulder by the front doors.
He looked at them standing there for a minute as they shuffled about self consciously and then shaking his head as he pulled the bus out from the stop, he began to mumble again:
"All packed in" "Must like it" "Should chuck 'em off "
The passengers nearby gave him sidelong glances and hung on tightly.
We passed a couple of stops without stopping and finally lurched to a halt at my request stop
The last words I heard from him as I squeezed past to get off were: "Hope I break down, that'll screw the buggers"!!
No comments:
Post a Comment